What you need to know if you receive a Flexible Working Request
There are a number of myths and misconceptions which surround the right of an employee to submit a request to work flexibly. One widely held misconception amongst employers is that employees can only submit a flexible working requests where it involves immediate family or dependants.
This is not the case and employees have a legal and statutory right to request the right to work flexibly for any reason. If you are a SME this can have a dramatic impact on your business. You need to understand what your options are if you receive a flexible working request. If you receive such a request you need to be aware of the following:
- Not all employees are eligible to make a flexible working request
- Your employee must provide you with certain information as part of their application for flexible working.
- There are certain specified grounds you can rely on to turn down a flexible working request.
- There are specified timescales laid down in the legislation for responding to a flexible working request
- Employees have a right of appeal if you refuse their application to work flexibly.
To ensure that you have a clear and fully documented process in place, if you receive a flexible working request, we would strongly recommend that you have a policy in place.
As a client of HR:4UK if you do not have such a policy in place or wish to upgrade your service to include this policy, please call us on 01455 444222 or complete an enquiry form here